Job ID 339676
Estimated Monthly Salary 3937
Career Level Manager
Experience 3 Years
Qualifications Degree Bachelor
Bridge Street Development Corporation (BSDC) -An innovative and progressive community development corporation
located in the historic Bedford-Stuyvesant community of Brooklyn. We build and sustain strong communities where people
of all incomes can achieve their full potential. BSDC is looking for a Merchant Organizing Program Manager to contribute
to our economic development work in partnership with the NYC Department of Small Business Services and implement a
community-driven approach to create thriving commercial areas, successful neighborhood businesses and access to economic
The Merchant Organizing Program Manager will help Bridge Street Development Corporation with outreach,
organizing and technical assistance to five business corridors within Bedford Stuyvesant/ Crown Heights interested in starting
or revitalizing a merchant association. As part of the organization’s Strategic Impact Grant for Merchant Organizing funded
by the New York City Department of Small Businesses Services (SBS), the SIG grant strengthens community-based
development organizations (CBDOs) to carry out merchant organizing in low- and moderate-income (LMI) communities.
The Program Manager is a grant-funded position. Reporting to the Director of Economic Development, the Program
Manager will serve primarily as an on-the-ground resource, building relationships with business owners and local
stakeholders, assessing merchant needs, and overseeing commercial revitalization initiatives for Bridge Street Development
Corporation. The Program Manager will work closely with the funder, partner organizations and local stakeholders to
ensure that the initiatives are being implemented as planned and within the projected timeline. The Program Manager will
be responsible for administrative management and serving as primary liaison with the NYC Department of Small Business
Services (SBS). In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work
in the United States.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Coordinate and facilitate virtual and in person meetings with merchants to develop connections and relationships,
and to discuss documents and challenges. Discuss formal incorporation, goals, and objectives.
• Update/create a merchant address database within designated target area that includes contact information, address,
and business name/type of merchants in Bedford Stuyvesant (Malcolm X Blvd, Marcus Garvey Blvd, Lewis
Avenue) and/or Central Brooklyn
• Identification of leadership for the newly formed merchant associations and lay the groundwork for continued and
future organizing work.
• Preparation, attendance, and active participation in leadership training focused on supporting merchant organizing
efforts and deliverables.
Business Support & Retention
• Create an online presence (Instagram, Facebook, etc.) and assist new associations to establish logos, What’s App
groups to solidify identity and brand identification.
• Assist merchant associations with identifying open space options to explore and apply for Summer 2023.
• Identify resources, workshops, and programs for merchant association members and leadership.
• Two or more years of experience with merchant organizing, commercial revitalization, community nonprofits,
community-based planning and organizing, and/or neighborhood development issues;
• Familiarity with Crown Heights and Bedford Stuyvesant Brooklyn.
• Commitment to engaging diverse constituents in low- and moderate-income communities; be interested in
understanding the different perspectives and needs of diverse community stakeholders.
• Strong aptitude for interpreting data and data trends.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with governmental agencies, elected officials,
non-profit organizations and other community groups.
• Ability to coordinate and manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, and provide timely and clear updates
• Ability to work in an organized, efficient manner with a high level of accuracy, attention to detail, and followthrough; and, ability to complete tasks and projects with tight deadlines
• Demonstrate a passion and commitment to creating and maintaining strong, vibrant neighborhoods and
• An ability to be flexible and willingness to wear “multiple hats” if and when needed;
• Flexible schedule with the ability to work some weekends and evenings, if needed;
• High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
• Knowledge of successful community organizing, consensus and coalition building techniques and best practices.
• Experience with and knowledge of digital/social media marketing and campaigns.
• Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, ArcGIS.
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and a minimum of two years of full-time
experience in one or more of the following fields: urban planning, community organizing, public administration,
project management; real estate. An associate degree from an accredited college or university and a minimum of
three years of full-time experience in one of the above fields.
Annual Salary $65,000 – $70,000. commensurate on experience, with benefits as offered in accordance with BSDC
How to Apply:
Submit the following documents to email@example.com. Please submit all documents as PDFs and write “Merchant Organizing
Program Manager” in the subject line. Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Please see www.bsdcorp.org for more information about BSDC and its programs. Bridge Street Development Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. Only applicants under consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please.